Social enterprise think pieces
The Office of the Third Sector has asked five leading thinkers to set out their ideas on the future of social enterprise by preparing ‘think pieces’ on five different topics.
The think pieces, which focus on policy, were commissioned following the launch of the social enterprise action plan in November 2006, and published on the first anniversary of the action plan, on Social Enterprise Day 2007.
The papers are:
- Social enterprise and social innovation: strategies for the next ten years
by Charles Leadbeater [PDF, 200KB, 17 pages]
- What is the future of social enterprise in ethical markets?
by Dr Alex Nicholls [PDF, 298KB, 26 pages]
- Why measuring and communicating social value can help social enterprise become more competitive
by Jeremy Nicholls [PDF, 199KB, 17 pages]
- How can innovation in social enterprise be understood, encouraged and enabled?
by Andrea Westall [PDF, 249KB, 24 pages]
- What is the role of social enterprise in finding, creating and maintaining employment for disadvantaged groups?
by Dr Mike Aiken [PDF, 336KB, 31 pages]
The ideas set out in the papers are the authors' own, and do not represent Government policy on the issues. The think pieces aim to inform policy-making and the wider debate about social enterprise. They challenge thinking about the contribution social enterprises can make, and the Government's role in supporting them.